Friday, July 1, 2011

The Gentle Mastery of Christ


The Holy Gospel [July 1, 2011 - Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus]

25 At that time Jesus said in reply, "I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him. 28 "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Reflection

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” ~ Jesus in v. 28

The gospel today gives us significant insights into the person of Jesus Christ. He is not only the Messiah; he is more importantly the Son of God. In the same way that we know our earthly father, Jesus knows his heavenly Father. Thus he is able to make his Father known to us. Only a son, who knows his father intimately, can do this.

Jesus not only reveals his Father to us; he invites us to cling to him so that we can be joined to his Father. Verses 28-30 deserve our attention and serious reflection too. To receive the promised rest, we have to put on the yoke of Jesus on ourselves. A yoke was placed on an animal to harness it for work during the time of Jesus. It was also a metaphor for taking up a pattern of life. The gospel today challenges us to come to Jesus, accept him and follow his pattern of life.

Meditate on verses 28-30. What are its implications for you? Can you accept the ‘yoke’ of Jesus?

Source: The Reflection is from Bro. Abel Navarro (you can visit his blog at http://myblogabelnavarro-abel.blogspot.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment